Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Program Manager
In 2009, USDA updated its Departmental Regulation (DR) 4230-002, Special
Emphasis Programs. The DR established a new Special Emphasis for Gay, Lesbian,
Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) employees.
LGBT refers collectively to gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender
people. In use since the 1990s, the term replaces the phrase "gay community",
which many within LGBT communities felt did not represent accurately all those
to whom it referred. The term “LGBT” is intended to emphasize a diversity of
sexuality and gender identity-based cultures and is sometimes used to refer to
anyone who is not heterosexual instead of exclusively to people who are
homosexual, bisexual, or transgender.
The purpose of the program is to provide LGBT awareness and education to NRCS
employees and partners while focusing on such issues as employment, retention,
promotion, training, career development, and advancement opportunities affecting
LGBT applicants and employees at NRCS.
The LGBT Emphasis Program is an integral part of the overall equal employment
opportunity (EEO) program and is designed to—
- Ensure that gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender people receive
equal treatment in all aspects of employment.
- Increase the number of LGBT people employed in all professional,
administrative, technical, clerical, and other categories, series, and grade
- Provide opportunities to participate in training, career development,
and leadership programs.
- Encourage the participation of LGBT populations in all NRCS-sponsored
programs and activities.
- Provide a network of professional support for LGBT.
- Provide mentoring support to LGBT in the workforce.
- Educate all NRCS employees by raising the level of awareness of LGBT
workplace issues and concerns.
Contact Information Lesbian,
Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Program Manager:
||1550 Earl Core Road, Suite 200, Morgantown, WV 26505
< Back to West Virginia Civil Rights